Friday, 17 September 2010

Bread

I love baking bread. Any kind. White, wholemeal, with seeds in, with anything really. It makes me happy and it makes my family super happy. I love making the dough, the kneading (although mostly I now do that with my Kenwood) I have a breadmaker but it is just not the same, throwing everything in and 3 hours later you have bread. Somehow it just tastes different making it by hand, like more love has gone into it.

I go through stages where I make bread a lot and then I don't for a few weeks/months.
Well, yesterday was one of those days where I just had to make some.
I used the bread dough recipe from this book and added some basil and oregano to it because I wanted to make pizza pockets. After the proving, I rolled out small bits of dough, added a teaspoon of homemade pizza sauce, a few chopped up bits of ham, some grated cheese, folded the dough over and pinched it to seal.









As an experiment, I rolled one of them up like a swiss roll, just to see how it would end up.



After baking I discovered that I obviously hadn't sealed the dough well enough as some of them had split but E quickly snaffled that one up. She had another one cold in her Bento box. I will definitely do the swill roll type again, it was delicious and it came out really well
I still had some dough left and made rolls and some twisted bread sticks. I let the family eat 3 rolls and I quickly stuck 3 in the freezer for E's lunches next week.
Verdict from family: "Oh yeah, you have made bread, you really should do that more often mum" "The pizza pockets are amazing, can you make them again" What more does a mum need? (Apart from more time in a day?)

1 comment: