I had a wonderful time with my mum in Holland. She spoiled me by squeezing orange juice at breakfast, taking me to craft shops and just being there to enjoy some quality time together, we had some great laughs. The weather was really good and warm so we walked along the beach front and enjoyed cold drinks outdoors and watch the Dutch people walking and cycling by. And time for a lovely Dutch apple pie
Now, I know the Dutch are unique in their use of their bicycles especially the way they transport their kiddies. I saw so many different types of bikes and ways of carrying their small kids. Here are some of them:
See how this bike has two seats on the back? Amazing!
And this orange bike has a child seat on the front as well as the back. Because I had my kids here in Scotland and never experienced the cycling with my kids on my bike, this seems so scary to me. What a responsibility, cycling with your two little ones. And they don't wear helmets either, it just isn't the done thing.
Bikes, bikes everywhere, in all colours and sizes. I must admit I do miss cycling. It just isn't the same here. No cycling paths for a start, motorists here don't really know how to treat cyclists on the road.
I also had the opportunity to see my sister and her family, she had cooked the most delicious meal. It was great to see her although it was a short visit.
Ofcourse I bought far too many goodies to bring home. Liquorice, cardmaking supplies, chocolate sprinkles called hagelslag, sweets for the kids, spices for cooking and lots more.
All in all, it was a fantastic break, no worrying whether the teenagers were bored or what they wanted to do. Daily phone calls confirmed that everything was fine at the home front, although they did miss me and my cooking. Awww
It was wonderful to see you!
ReplyDeleteGlad you had a great trip.